Sunday, May 10, 2009

Mother's Day - In Honor of My Mother - Ann O'Donnell


My mother was a sweet soul. As a kid I listened to her stories of her childhood in Ireland and her journey to America. i especially loved the story of the banshees in the mountains of Glanduf, Ireland, She came to America in 1928 right in time for the Great Depression and worked as a live-in domestic. She later worked in factories during World War II while my dad served in the Philippines. After my dad died when I was four she raised my brother and myself and while we were very poor she found a way to give us what ever we needed. All the neighborhood kids loved her and watched out for her. She always wanted to return to Ireland but never made it home. I made the trip for her last year and met her youngest sister and walked in her childhood house. I felt like she was there with me. So this Mother's Day I honor her and will always be grateful for all she gave me and all she made me. Happy Mother's Day Mom. I know you are looking down on me and smiling.......


No comments: